3d Painting apps -

If you have questions or comments concerning any non-support related 3Dconnexion topic, please use this forum.

Moderator: Moderators

InterestedAnimator

3d Painting apps -

Post by InterestedAnimator »

I'm interesting in buying one of your devices for my work with 3ds max, and my lesser work in Maya.

But I would really like to see support for 3d painting apps.

Namely

ZBrush2
And / Or
Mudbox

I haven't yet tried mudbox, but I have used Zbrush2 for a little while. I would buy mudbox if one of your devices supported it and not Zbrush2.

I would really like to buy one of your devices, probably spacenavigator, for my work in 3ds max. But I would be thrilled to have this in Zbrush or Mudbox. Preferably Zbrush, as it does texturing as well as modelling. In addition I would be more likely to spring for the SpaceExplorer or Spacepilot if I were able to implement it throughout my production pipeline.

in addition I have been reading through Zbrush forums where members of that community are talking about the desire to use your product

Forum 1
Forum 2

From what ive seen Zbrush has started to become implemented in production pipelines, perhaps implementing drivers which would enable your device to work throughout the pipeline of Animation studios (not just CAD companies) where the same input device, bought from you, would work in everything from 3dsmax, Maya, to Zbrush, Combustion, AfterFX, and Photoshop (meaning reimplement it). Nice chance to gobble up the Animation marketshare in addition to the Drafting.

I would try and do the SDK thing myself, but I'm an artist, and coding confuses and scares me. -_-

Anyways, I look forward to trying your product

thank you for your time =D
InterestedAnimator

I have sent messages to both Zbrush (PIxellogic) and Mudbox.

Here was my e-mail
Subject: Support Feature

query:
Hello, I'm looking to integrate a package like yours into my pipeline within the next 6-8 months. I'm currently looking at your product and that of the previously released Zbrush2.

I'm contacting you to express interest in support for 3dconnexion devices in Mudbox. I realize that developments must be spurred by enough users to be useful, such an implementation would entice myself, and animation studios who use 3dconnexion devices, to choose Mudbox over Zbrush2. I have requested Mudbox support from 3dconnexion, and now request it from you. Ive also made the request of the Zbrush team.

Thank you for your time
and Thank you for making such a great product
Following is the response I got from mudbox
Hello Sean,

Thanks for your interest in Mudbox.

>>>express interest in support for 3dconnexion devices in Mudbox.

we are already in touch with this company and considering supporting their products.

thank you,
Tibor

ps.
We have a 15 day fully functional trial available. It can be downloaded here:

VIEWING DOCUMENTATION
Also, a work in progress. For any information not yet covered in the docs,
just email us at support@skymatter.com,

The documentation can be easily accessed through Mudbox help menu.

DOWNLOADING ARTIST VIDEO DEMOS
Dave has put together a few videos demonstrating several features using an
earlier version of Mudbox. These videos have no sound.
The compression needs xvid codec which can be downloaded here:

MUDBOX FORUM SIGNUP
The Forum is a place to share knowledge and discuss issues. You will be able
to share your experiences and work with other Mudbox users -- and give
valuable feedback to the support team.
so it appears Mudbox is more on the ball than Zbrush

I only wish Mudbox could do painting

Perhaps one day pixellogic or 3dconnexion will develope a Zbrush app
Last edited by InterestedAnimator on Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
InterestedAnimator

here's the Zbrush communications
Thank you for your feedback.

Every single feature in ZBrush is paid for through man hours spent developing
that feature. When allocating those man hours, we must give first priority to
features that will benefit ALL ZBrush users, regardless of the hardware that
they're using.

We simply cannot justify delaying the launch of ZBrush 2.5 to implement support
for devices that have a very small market penetration.

After 2.5 has been launched we will once again evaluate our planned feature list
and suggestions from users to develop a game plan for future development. It is
possible that we will consider 3DConnexion devices, but it is also possible that
we'll leave it up to a third party developer to add such support via a plugin.
It's simply too early to say at this time.

Sincerely,

Pixologic ZBrush Support
I still have hopes zbrush is supported in the future, I won't be purchasing either zbrush or mudbox for another 6-8 months so there's time.

I'm rooting for zbrush, since im more familiar with it, but who knows.
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Thank you for your requests sent to Mudbox and Pixologic. We are very happy about the interest that Mudbox has shown, and hope that Pixologic will do the same in the near future.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
stalkeron

Post by stalkeron »

Hi,

I recently got a space traveller device and i'm just getting used to it. I could forsee its great use when painting with PaintFx in Maya and thought(wrongly as it seems) it's supported by Zbrush at least.

I don't use Zbrush much but will have to do some detail modelling in the near future and bumped into Mudbox, so simple and intuitive.

I wanted to email logitech and talk about this but obviously someone beat me to it. I support the idea for support for 3d paint apps a.s.a.p...

So, just one question : can anyone provide some info on when(aprox) will Mudbox support the device, since you said the company is taking it into consideration.

I'd appreciate an answer so I might know if this is possible in the next let's say 2 months...

Thanks
znissan
User
User

Post by znissan »

Hello stalkeron:

Mudbox currently has devices and our SDK. Representations about their development have to come from them. I would suggest sending them a request, and if you would like, you can also post their answer here.

Thanks for your interest, and we also hope that Mudbox moves ahead with this development.

Ziva Nissan
3Dconnexion, Inc.
SGP

Post by SGP »

Are you kidding? It's been 2 years and still no support?

What kind of company releases a priduct this expensive, and doesn't invest in it to release a universal driver?!

I say 3dconnexion should get thier ***es in gear. This is unacceptable for an input device of this price. :evil:
SGP

Post by SGP »

SGP wrote:2 years
3 years!!!
rasamaya

Post by rasamaya »

Seriously? its been 3 years, haha thats crazy.

I guess I wont keep my fingers crossed.

I honestly would not have purchased one if I knew there was no support for mudbox or zbrush.
evilhead

Post by evilhead »

Wow, glad I read this forum first. Nearly bought one.

Yeah, no zbrush, no mudbox, and the weird rotate pivot thing in Maya... why bother getting one of these things.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3Dconnexion has released Beta 10 of 3DxWare 10 for Windows which includes experimental support for ZBrush 4.

For further details and download information, please refer to this topic.